If You Are A Healthcare Provider and Want To Test A Patient
For COVID-19 Coronavirus testing through the PA Department of Health (DOH), consultation with the DOH IS REQUIRED. Call 1-877-PAHEALTH for a consultation and advise the patient to stay home. Call for consultation if:
- The patient is a contact of a confirmed case and is sick
- The patient resides in a congregate care setting and is sick
- The patient is a healthcare worker and is sick
- The patient is hospitalized with relevant symptoms of COVID-19 Coronavirus and has no alternative diagnosis
For COVID-19 Coronavirus testing through a commercial laboratory, consultation with the PA Department of Health is NOT REQUIRED, and you can test through a commercial laboratory if:
- The patient does not meet the above criteria, but is symptomatic
- The patient does not meet the above criteria, is asymptomatic, but wants to be tested
If You Are A Patient Who Wants To Be Tested for COVID-19 Coronavirus
Stay home if:
- You are feeling mostly fine
- You are worried
Stay home and call your doctor for advice if:
- You are feeling sick, but would not have sought care under normal circumstances
Call your doctor or seek medical care if:
- You feel sick and believe you have an emergency
- If you do not have a provider call your local health department or 1-877-PA-HEALTH
What Are The Symptoms of COVID-19 Coronavirus?
In combination, symptoms of the COVID-19 virus include:
- Shortness of breath
The symptoms may appear in as few as two days or as long as 14 days after exposure. Reported illnesses have ranged from people with little to no symptoms to people being severely ill and dying.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available
- Cover any coughs or sneezes with your elbow, do not use your hands!
- Clean surfaces frequently, such as countertops, light switches, cell phones and other frequently touched areas
- Contain- if you are sick, stay home until you are feeling better
Want to Learn More About COVID-19 Coronavirus?
For more information, visit:
- https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/disease/Pages/Coronavirus.aspx, or
Contact the Crisis Text Line by texting PA to 741-741